Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lemon Shirataki Noodles

I thought Rachael Ray’s lemon chive noodles were going to be easy & tasty. I was going to eat them as a main dish. But I didn’t really consider a couple factors beforehand. I roughly substituted or omitted almost every ingredient, and I didn’t have all the tools.

• Pinch of salt and pepper
• 1 bag shirataki noodles
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1 lemon, zested and sliced
• Almost 1/4 cup soy sauce

I put it all in a pot & boiled for 5 minutes. I didn’t have a zester & my grater only had big holes, so at first I shaved off some lemon peel with a knife. But then I realized that I wasn’t about to cut it up into little pieces. So I just threw the shavings in the pot, left the rest of the skin on the lemons when I sliced them, & put the slices in the pot. I served it with one of my old kung pao chicken crock pot recipes:

• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
• 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil (there wasn’t that much in the bottle, so not sure how much I actually used)
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
• 1 ounce hot chile paste
• 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar (I misread the amount, so it was actually 1Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar)
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1 can green beans
• Throw it all in the crock pot & cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4

The chicken was excellent. The noodles were a little too bitter by themselves. Together, they didn’t look very good, but they tasted great (like most things that come from a crock pot). I’m glad I made something to go along with those noodles. The chicken would have been even better over rice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment