Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pork and Beans

I got this idea from the Breaking the Vicious Cycle book (about the “specific carbohydrate diet”). It has a list of sample recipes, but I wasn’t inspired. It also has a list of food to eat & food to avoid, so I looked up a few of the allowable items to see what else I could make. I came up with pork and beans, roughly modified to fit the rules.

• 2 cups dry navy beans, soaked overnight
• 1 cup tomato juice
• 1.5 Tbsp vinegar
• 1 cup water
• 2 tsp dry mustard
• 1 tsp salt
• Random amount of leftover ham chunks (frozen, leftover from the piggy succotash recipe)
• 2/3 cup honey

I put it all in the crockpot after breakfast, and then turned it off when I got home from work (which ended up being 12 hours later). I liked it, but I wondered if I really had to soak the beans overnight since I ended up cooking them 4 hours longer than I was supposed to. I served it with hazelnut muffins (based on the almond bread recipe, but with hazelnut flour instead of almond, and yogurt instead of butter). However, after reading the list again, I think pork is allowed but ham isn’t. Sheesh.



No comments:

Post a Comment