Sunday, October 9, 2011

Succotash

I surprised myself when I once again decided to make something with a name that roughly sounded awful. I thought Claire Robinson’s piggy succotash looked easy enough that it was worth a try.

• 2 slices turkey bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips
• 1/2 bag of pre-cooked ham cubes
• 1 can of lima beans
• 1 can of hominy
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
• salt and pepper

I substituted hominy instead of corn, but it’s essentially corn. I basically followed the other instructions, but I didn’t have a cast iron skillet, so I used a non-stick pan. There wasn’t any “bacon fat” when it came time to cook the ham, but the ham was pre-cooked anyway. There weren’t really any brown bits at the bottom of the pan because I used the turkey bacon & the non-stick pan, so I just tossed in a random amount of leftover vegetable broth at vegetable cooking time. I really liked it, which also surprised me because I have never been a huge fan of ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment