Sunday, August 7, 2011

Roast Beef & Chayote Tacos

This one would have totally flown under the radar, if not for my accidental DVR timing. I usually stop recording immediately at the end of the show I wanted to watch, but I happened to set the DVR to record a bit longer & caught a few minutes of the next show. I misunderstood & thought it was all one dish. So now it is. This roast beef and chayote taco recipe is roughly based on Marcela Valladolid’s light tacos and mexican squash with yogurt dip recipes.

I bought some flank steak specifically to make this. However, it was oddly discolored when I took it out of the package. So I used deli style roast beef instead. I mostly followed the directions for the steak, but without onions or cilantro. I cooked the roast beef on the Foreman Grill. Even though sandwich meat comes already cooked & sliced, I had soaked it in beer, so figured I should cook it a bit. I followed the directions for the chayote too, but I just used 1 cup of Fage Total 0 greek yogurt instead of adding some mayo.

I put the roast beef, the squash, and the salsa in the cabbage leaf (I know she said lettuce, but I don’t like lettuce), and then I dunked the tacos in the dip. If I had seen the whole show, maybe I’d have realized how long this would take. Or maybe I’m just slow with all the chopping & blending & whatnot. Seemed like I was making it forever, but done eating it in one second. It was good, but would I make it again? Sure, if I had nothing else to do.

Original:



Mine:

No comments:

Post a Comment