Saturday, August 6, 2011

Stir-Fry

Lisa Lillien makes a lot of interesting stuff. I watch her show sometimes, but I don’t cook many of her recipes. The theme seems to be “guilt free” food for weight loss & whatnot. I had no guilt about eating sausage & pepperoni pizza on a regular basis, so I didn’t really think the show was for me. But now I see that she tracks the stats for carbs, fat, and cholesterol… so I guess I’m actually the target market for it.

I roughly made her spicy thai-style no-cook stir-fry recipe. I didn’t want to go out and buy peanut vinaigrette salad dressing* so I found a recipe for thai peanut sauce, which I mostly followed. I just put a snack pack of peanuts in the blender with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, juice from half a lemon, 1 tsp of garlic, and almost 1 Tbsp of sugar. Then I added the 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar & almost 1 tsp red pepper flakes from the stir-fry recipe to the blender also. I poured that mixture over a bowl of 1 bag broccoli cole slaw, 2 cutup/leftover grilled chicken strips that I got from Jack in the Box yesterday, and 1 cup of frozen peas. I suppose I made it a bit fattier by not using the recommended sauce, but too bad. It tasted excellent, but the peas were still frozen so I had to wait a while before eating it. It might have been even better with a little less sugar & a little more chili pepper flakes.

* Even if I wanted to buy it, I just wouldn’t. A) I already have salad dressing in the fridge that will take me forever to finish. B) It probably has artificial sweetener, which makes my stomach hurt. C) What if it turns out that I don’t like it… I don’t want to throw it out, but I also don’t want to be stuck with it. I think they should make travel size condiments (like the tiny shampoo at the hotels, or the liquor bottles on airplanes).

Original:


Mine:

2 comments:

  1. That's the beauty of this one... you can be eating it within seconds, with no wok necessary (as long as your peas aren't frozen & you don't make your own peanut sauce). I hadn't even thought about heating it, but I bet it would be good.

    ReplyDelete