Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Spicy Tuna Sandwich Rolls

I had a can of tuna, so I thought of making a tuna sandwich. Unfortunately, I had no bread or mayo (which might have defeated the purpose of low-cholesterol, low-carb, & low-fat recipes anyway). I came up with this idea all by myself. I made my own version of a spicy tuna roll. I used brown rice, cucumber, canned tuna mixed with the leftover bell pepper/avocado/cumin/yogurt dip, and some Taco Bell hot sauce. The seaweed wrappers I had in the fridge didn’t smell good anymore and must have expired, so I didn’t use them. I considered using parchment paper to roll up the filling in just the rice with no wrapper. However, I realized that since I used boil-in-a-bag brown rice, it wouldn’t stick to itself the way normal rice would. So I wrapped the rice, cucumber, and spicy tuna mixture in half a spinach lavash flatbread, then cut it into rolls. Since I ended up using rice and flatbread, I think I made it more carb-a-licious than it would have been with the seaweed wrapper. The rolls tasted pretty much the way you’d expect anything to taste if you dipped it in soy sauce and wasabi. Seriously though, it was okay, but a tuna sandwich would have been better. I ate the rest of the cucumber, but now I have leftover spicy tuna.


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I found a place that sells their leftover sushi after 6:00 pm for half price. It'll kill me quick and then go out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half off sushi? Excellent! Stick with the California rolls (and other such pre-cooked items). I didn’t make anything today, but I have a new concoction I’m thinking of making tomorrow. Stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete