Saturday, August 27, 2011

Turkey Meatball Curry

I made turkey meatball curry yesterday. I roughly followed Aarti Sequeira’s meatball curry recipe, but with a few changes. She didn’t make hers with turkey or with curry powder. She said that there wasn’t really such a thing as pre-mixed “curry powder” when she was growing up, but she would use a variety of spices. I happened to have curry powder, so I didn’t use her whole variety. She also said to use full-fat coconut milk because it really made all the difference. Since I don’t eat enough meatball curry to know the difference, I didn’t use the full fat milk.

Meatballs:
• 1 pound ground turkey
• 2 tsp diced jalapeno from a can
• 2 tsp minced ginger
• 1 tsp salt

Curry:
• Pam cooking spray
• 5 tsp garlic
• 1 tsp ginger
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, quartered
• 1 (14-ounce can) low-fat coconut milk
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 cup water
• juice of 1 tiny lemon

I ended up cooking it a bit longer than recommended, since the sauce was still thin enough that it didn’t seem like it would matter. I stepped away from the stove for a few minutes and when I came back, the sauce had kinda disappeared. It was still terrific anyway. I served it over brown rice. The picture didn’t do it justice, but I took it during the “leftovers” phase.


2 comments:

  1. It was sooooo good. And this morning for breakfast, I cut up 2 leftover meatballs & put them in an egg mug with vegetables and eggbeaters. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete