Sunday, August 28, 2011

Three Bean Shirataki e Fagioli

I saw Rachael Ray make a three bean pasta e fagioli soup that looked doable, even though I didn’t have all the exact ingredients. I had been looking for a way to use some leftover carrots & green beans, and also some new shirataki noodles. I had never tried those noodles before, bought them just because of their low-carb status, but was worried that they might smell/taste really weird because of the packaging and the instructions. So I figured if I put them in a soup with a bunch of other stuff, maybe I wouldn’t notice. I roughly followed the recipe, with a few omissions and changes.

• Pam cooking spray
• half bag of shredded carrots
• 2 tsp garlic
• salt and pepper
• 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans
• 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas
• leftover green beans from a Taiwanese restaurant (sautéed in sesame and garlic I think)
• 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
• 1 can vegetable broth
• 3 cups water
• 1 bag angel hair shirataki noodles, cut into small pieces
• 1 small lemon, zested and juiced

For some reason, I was surprised that I liked it. Before I ate it, I was concerned that I might have spent too much time on making soup again. 30 minutes was a long time compared to the 2 minutes it would have taken to open a can of soup and microwave it. It was worth it though. It was even better the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment